The only haunting feeling that would linger with you is the empty theater because no one is willing to spend their time and money on a movie that tried to be a horror with an emotional backdrop making it a cringing comedy with no support story. The true incident that inspired the script had huge potential to turn this into a good thriller and scary horror movie but sadly it turned out a disaster.
The only good part about this entire movie were the actors, Vicky, Ashutosh and even Bhumi in her cameo were shining brightly and the worst of the movie was the scripts, the set design, the music and the vfx or whatever they tried to use to make the scary scenes more horrifying. The biggest element of horror movie is the surprise and that is series like haunting hill do not require extreme editing or technical support and can survive on the script alone.
We would say Bollywood that has given us Raaz where just the scene where Bipasha hears a screaming noice calling out to her from the forest gives us the scare or Stree where the comical timing of the scares are matched perfectly is still a capable industry to make a decent scary movie but a huge part of it still lies on direction and script at which Bhoot the Haunted ship felt like a never ending movie with some laughter gags in middle.
What fails for the movie is a weak screenplay specially in the 2nd half which drags with slow pace and very less scare or horror sequences, more concentration goes on Drama , the film picks up towards the end and ends in a newer way than we usually see in bollywood films,even the actors have done a great job . For the Bollywood standards this is a differnt kind of horror film which can be watched once in the cinemas.
THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR
- A naturally flowing story line that is simplistic
- Camera Work and Background Score is commendable.
- Actors specially Vicky Kaushal drives the film with his amazing performance.
- Climax sequence is well presented unlike the typicl films in bollywood.
- Graphics and transitions are upto the mark and sync up well during horror sequences
- Drama is more concentrated in the 2nd half more than the horror part which derails the film to an extent
- The pace of the movie is quite slow which could be an problem for audience to be glued to this film with interest.
- The movie titled Bhoot The haunted Ship part 1 has no anticpation towards the end for Part 2.
- The Screenplay could have been far better FINAL VERDICT With all the flaws and shortcomings the film still manages to be decently stand out in horror genre atleast for the bollywood scale , the effort needs to be appreciated . Its a one time watch